The hedge should be watered abundantly immediately after planting, and then constantly maintain adequate soil moisture for the next two years. It is a good idea to form a delicate cavity around each plant, which will ensure water seepage into the root system. In dry sites, it is best to install a temporary irrigation system, which can be easily dismantled, when the plants are well established.
In early spring, full mineral fertilization should be applied in an amount of approx 40 g na 1 m² and repeat the treatment at the beginning of June, halving the dose. We remove weeds all the time, keeping in mind, so as not to hoe too deep near the plants, because you can damage their roots.
At the end of the growing season, we remove any dead plants and replace them with new ones.
Trimming the hedge
Getting to work, be sure, that secateurs, manual and mechanical scissors are appropriately sharp. Working with blunt tools is more difficult, more tiring, and we can damage plants with them.
Best, if the hedge does not exceed the height 1,8 m. Higher hedges make maintenance treatments difficult and make, that they are much more laborious. Before we proceed to pruning, we should make sure, that there are no more chicks in the nests.
Formal hedges are like that, which we trim very carefully and systematically, giving them the desired form. Their maintenance is much more time-consuming than informal hedges, also called natural. We let informal hedges grow freely, so that the plants that make up them take on their natural habit at a pace regulated by nature itself.
Pruning the plants after planting and shortening the shoots again in spring in the second year is the first step in forming a hedge (if we plant a hedge in the fall, with the first cut, it is better to wait until spring).The right cut, which aims to thicken the shrubs and give them the appropriate form, we start in the second year, when new growths appear, usually at the end of June. It is very difficult to determine the exact date and number of cuts, it depends on the rate of plant growth. When we see, that spring growth is now properly completed, and the hedge needs to be leveled, we start forming.
• Take precautions when trimming the hedge, especially if we use mechanical tools.
• We always start work properly prepared: wearing protective glasses, gloves, protective headphones and suitable footwear; We do not wear loose clothing when working.
• If we are working on a ladder, let's check, whether it is standing steadily. We place it on the most even ground possible. For taller hedges, especially if they are long, it is worth renting a folding scaffold – it is much more reliable than a ladder.
• Take care of the appropriate equipment. It is best to buy an electric or petrol hedge trimmer with hand guards and a safety switch..
• Connect the electric scissors to the installation with a special residual current device. Thanks to this solution, in the event of any failure or damage to the cable, the power supply will be cut off immediately.
• When working, pay particular attention to the position of the electric wire.
• Not allowed, children in the vicinity of the hedge trimmer.
• Do not disturb the person, which is in the process of trimming the hedge. We should always wait, until it stops working and switches off the scissors.
• Using hand scissors, try to avoid performing activities with arms raised above the head. This position is very tiring. When deciding to buy scissors, let's pay attention to it, are they handy and how much they weigh.